In this lesson, we are going to use an interesting video about a very dangerous job which is called ice road trucking. We are going to show you how to improve English speaking skills with this practice activity.
Step 1: Watch the video about how to improve your English speaking skills using this lesson.
Step 2: Watch the interesting and suspenseful video about ice road truckers and see what their dilemma is.
Step 3: Watch the last video which has questions for you to answer and practice using the new vocabulary about this interesting topic. You will also hear how a native speaker would answer the questions so you can learn some new phrases and additional words.
- Semi-truck: A commercial truck that is designed to pull a trailer with a heavy load
- Current: Flowing or moving water
- Trucker: The person who drives large trucks that transport or haul prodcuts
- Crack: To break without complete separation of the parts. A crack in a glass, looks like a line.
- Loader: A machine that is used to move dirt or other materials.
- Stuck: Not being able to move. Unstuck: When you are able to move after being stuck.
Questions to Answer:
- Why is the ice weak?
- Why did the truck get stuck?
- How thick to you think the ice has to be in order to support a semi truck and it’s trailer?
- What did they do to get the truck unstuck?
- Why do you think that these trucks are driving across frozen lakes and rivers?
- How would you feel if you were driving a semi truck and it started to break through the ice?
- How much would someone have to pay you to do this job?
- What aspects of truck driving are dangerous in winter conditions?